Maxalt is used for treating acute migraine headache with or without aura (flashing lights, wavy lines, dark spots) in adults. It should not be used to prevent migraines or cluster headaches. Maxalt is a selective serotonin receptor agonist. It works by narrowing dilated blood vessels in the brain, relieving migraine headaches.
Use Maxalt as directed by your doctor.
- Take Maxalt by mouth with or without food.
- Take Maxalt with plenty of fluid.
- Take a single dose of Maxalt as soon as migraine symptoms appear. A second dose may be taken if there is only a partial response or symptoms of the migraine return. However, do not take it sooner than 2 hours following the first dose. Do not take more than 30 milligrams (mg) in a 24-hour period.
- Do not take additional doses if you do not get a response from the first dose.
- If you miss a dose of Maxalt and you still have a headache, follow your doctor's dosing instructions. Contact your doctor right away if you are unsure of what to do if you miss a dose. Do not take Maxalt more often than prescribed. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Maxalt.
Store Maxalt at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Maxalt out of the reach of children and away from pets
Active Ingredient: Rizatriptan benzoate.